Monday, April 5, 2010

I hate my customers - now what?

Every where you look there is a conversation about:

The Customer is Always Right
Customer Service
The Customer Experience
Putting the Customer First
Earning Customer Loyalty
Making a Difference in the Life of Your Customer


Well, what if you can't stand your customer? What if you hear their voice over the phone and your skin crawls? What if you see them walk into your store and you have to work hard to resist the urge to run out the back door?

It has happened to us all at one time or another. I was just having lunch with a colleague who told of one of her sales employees and how she hates her customer. The customer's financial value to the company is well over $350,000 in annual revenue. No slouch. The sales associate's commission on that sale is 10%.

$35,000 in annual income from one customer!

But she absolutely HATES the customer. Doesn't take their calls. Postpones in person meetings. My friend was in a state! "How do I make sure the customer never knows how the sales associate feels?"

Well - that is what we are going to explore in this blog. This blog won't work unless you share your stories.

We can all learn from each other.

So put your thinking cap on. Think about a customer you have or one you used to have that you really didn't like. How did you handle the situation?

Did you let the customer know?
Did you avoid their calls?
Did you walk away from the business?
Did you FAKE IT?

Share your stories here. And we'll do the same.

2 comments:

  1. Hello-
    When I was younger, just starting out in a customer service/training role with an animal clinic, a very crabby couple would come in regularly with their dog. No one wanted to wait on them! I decided to take the challenge and give them the best customer service regardless of how they treated me. Apparently, they enjoyed the service so much that they tipped me! After that, each time they came in, they were a bit less crabby. I still gave them great service and received a tip in turn.

    It was my first real "aha moment" with a customer that I didn't like. I think that many difficult customers have had poor service in the past. Dazzle them and they may surprise you! Today, I am a Quality Systems Manager and still love getting that "aha moment" with both internal and external customers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire - I love this story. It certainly demonstrates the adage "you attract more with sugar than vinegar" or however that quote goes.

    So often when a customer hits us between the eyes with their rage, or attitude, it has nothing to do with us. They may have been having a bad day all along. But we take it personal and may even give them back as good as they give us. And that has no place to go but ugly.

    Your approach of being extra nice clearly paid off!

    Thanks for sharing.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete