Thursday, April 15, 2010

Policies Are For the Few That Push the Envelope


Do you have written policies and procedures for the customer experience? Here is a story from Leah Oviedo, that shows the reason some policies have to be created:

The first year of my retail business I had a customer who wanted to return a scarf. I told her that was fine, I would happily give her a refund and reimburse her for shipping.

She complained that this was unfair, she wanted me to send her a cash refund and then she would return the scarf. I explained that this was not my refund policy and I didn't know any business that would send a customer cash anyway. She continued to call and complain every few weeks. After a few months, she eventually stopped calling and I never heard from her again.

It was dismaying and wasted a lot of my time. I learned to write out a return policy at my booth, so this wouldn't happen again. She ended up teaching me a lesson which is a good thing.


What policies have you created because a customer OR an employee pushed the envelope beyond the bounds of reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment